All through the week I read so much that I end up bookmarking dozen of links and then wait for the weekend to find some relaxing moments to catch up on some of the awesome stuff people are doing all over the world.
Here are my top picks for the weekend read. I called it the BRAVE edition, because this week I came across many inspiring stories of young girls who are making a BIG change in society! DRUM-ROLL PLS for:
- The Burka Avenger – Conservative Pakistan’s New Animated Liberal Superheroine. She’s the defender of girls’ education and women’s rights. To the locals, she is known simply as the demure school teacher but whenever evil is afoot, she takes on her alter identity, Burka Avenger. It’s a take on 15-year-old Malala Yousafzai who was shot by the Taliban for speaking out against Pakistani militants and promoting education for girls. Kick-ass stuff! Find her here http://www.burkaavenger.com/
- 9 yr old becomes youngest US chess master: 9-year-old Carissa has risen so far up the rankings that she has reached the expert level at a younger age than anyone since the chess federation began electronic record-keeping in 1991. Woaaah!
- Yemeni girl from YouTube wants education, not marriage – Online sensation. In an interview she said, “Death would be a better option for me,” than getting married. Ouch.
- The 10-year-old who asked for divorce – Asked by a reporter in Paris if she hopes to meet her Prince Charming one day, Nujood sat back in her chair, crossed her arms and said bluntly, “I no longer think about marriage.”. Dumb question to ask a really smart girl, who knows what she wants! Read full story about the girl with a BIG heart.
- 9 yr old holds ‘Make A Stand Lemon-Aid’ Every Day For A Year To Fight Child Trafficking – If life gives you lemons, you open a lemonade stand — and use the profits to free more than 500 child slaves, of course. Lil’ Miss Lemonade got spunk baby!
- Ali’s Alphabet Adventure… L Is For Leukemia – Perfect example of turning adversity into awesomeness. 15 yr old wanting to support other children and families dealing with leukemia has written this book after seeing her father bravely fight this dreaded disease.
- 16 yr old turns banana into environmentally friendly plastic – Elif Bilgin of Turkey & her Bioplastic made from Banana Peels. How super cool is that!
- 17 yr old Eesha Khare of the U.S. & her Fast-Charging Supercapacitor – 18-year-old Eesha Khare of Saratoga, California WON the Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award for inventing a tiny energy storage device that may revolutionize the charging of cell phones and other electrical devices.
A BIG SHOUT OUT to these incredible girls! For those who are still figuring out themselves – you’ll get there and when you do, you know it has been worth it! Lots a sunshine to all of you! 🙂
Btw, my girl thinks I am a BRAVE girl – according to her, this is her mama’s alter ego – the warrior girl!
Have a fab Friday and a BRAVE and BIG weekend EVERYONE!
~ KaT & Kiddo~
- Lady In Black: Burka Avenger Fights For Pakistans Girls : NPR (meccastars.com)
- Girl, 9, Could Be Youngest-Ever Chess Master (newser.com)
- Congratulations Eesha Khare! (raxacollective.wordpress.com)
- Coffee & Me (vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com)
- Return of the Son of the Bride of the Barista With No Name (helenahannbasquiat.wordpress.com)